However, exuberance is no excuse for not establishing clear expectations upfront and ensuring that the IP of partners is clearly spelled out in a formal agreement.
It's unfortunate when business alliances, partnerships and creative endeavors fail because the partners didn't invest upfront time in thinking through the "what if" scenarios.
This is why I invited Alan Korn, a Berkeley, California-based attorney specializing in art, entertainment, intellectual property and business law, to join me for a candid discussion on copyright essentials on Sunday, March 14 at 6pm (PST) (PDT) during my Coach for Innovation show on BlogTalkRadio.
- What is a copyright and what does it protect?
- Who owns a copyright?
- When is a written contract necessary?
- What should the contract cover?
- What is copyright infringement?
- Are there any limitations on rights of copyright owners?
- Why registering copyrights with the Copyright Office is a good idea.